quarta-feira, 24 de agosto de 2011

"do" and "does" VOCABULARY


VOCABULARY:

always, at times, do, does, ever, every day, every now and then, every week,
finally,, first, in the morning, never, normally, occasionally, often,
on the weekends, once in a while, rarely, sometimes, then, twice a month, usually, 

	>> We use the general present to speak about habitual or normal activities.
In the third person singular, we add "s":

NOUN + VERB

NOUN	VERB
I	eat.
You	eat.
He	eats.
She	eats.
It	eats.
We	eat.
They	eat.

	>> In questions, we use the MODAL VERBS "do" and "does". We do not
conjugate the verb:

MODAL VERB + NOUN + VERB

MODAL VERB	NOUN	VERB
Do		I	eat?
Do		you	eat?
Does		he	eat?
Does		she	eat?
Does		it	eat?
Do		we	eat?
Do		they	eat?

	>> In negative declarations, we use the MODAL VERBS "do" and "does"
plus "not". We do not conjugate the verb:

NOUN + MODAL VERB + "not" + VERB

NOUN	MODAL VERB	NOT	VERB	CONTRACTION
I	do		not	eat.	I don't eat.
You	do		not	eat.	You don't eat.
He	does		not	eat.	He doesn't eat.
She	does		not	eat.	She doesn't eat.
It	does		not	eat.	It doesn't eat.
We	do		not	eat.	We don't eat.
They	do		not	eat.	They don't eat.

	>> In negative questions, we put "not" after the MODAL VERB. We normally
use contractions:

MODAL VERB + "not" + NOUN + VERB

MODAL VERB + "not"	NOUN	VERB
Don't			I	eat?
Don't			you	eat?
Doesn't			he	eat?
Doesn't			she	eat?
Doesn't			it	eat?
Don't			we	eat?
Don't			they	eat?

-Don't you smoke?
	Yes, I smoke.
	No, I do not smoke.
-What do you wear to a funeral?
	You wear black. / You don't wear bright colors.
-Don't you want to go to the party?
	Yes, we want to go!
	No, we don't want to go.
-Don't they have any food?
	Yes, they have food.
	No, they don't have any food.
-Does she work at the car factory?
	Yes, she works at car factory.
-When does the train arrive?
	It arrives at 9:00.
-Does your dog eat meat?
	Yes, it eats meat.
	It doesn't eat meat.
-Does your car go fast?
	Yes, it goes fast.
	No, it does not go fast.

SPELLING THE GENERAL PRESENT CONJUGATED FOR THE THIRD PERSON:

	>> Add "s" to the verb:

want		wants
run		runs
throw		throws
sleep		sleeps
face		faces
flee		flees
lie		lies
bathe		bathes
anger		angers
say		says
buy		buys
toy		toys
lay		lays

	>> Change the "y" to "i" and add "es" to verbs ending with a CONSONANT + "y":

cry		cries
try		tries
fly		flies
fancy		fancies
party		parties
bandy		bandies

	>> Add "es" to verbs ending in "o", "s", "x", "zz", "ch", and "sh":

do		does
go		goes
mass		masses
kiss		kisses
tax		taxes
fix		fixes
buzz		buzzes
fizz		fizzes
watch		watches
stitch		stitches
dish		dishes
crash		crashes

	>> Irregular verbs:

have		has

"SHORT" ADVERBS:

	>> Since we use the general present to talk about normal or habitual
activities, we often use the following short adverbs:

rarely, occasionally, sometimes, often, normally, usually, always

	>> We normally put these adverbs after the NOUN and the MODAL VERB,
and before the VERB, but we can also put them at the beginning or at the end.

-What time do you normally eat dinner?
	I normally eat dinner at 7:00.
	Normally I eat dinner at 7:00.
	I eat dinner at 7:00 normally.
-Do you drink whiskey often?
	I do not usually drink whiskey.
	Usually I do not drink whiskey.
	I do not drink whiskey usually.
-You often forget your keys.
-You don't always speak clearly.
-Does she always watch TV?
	She rarely watches TV.
-Does she travel often?
	She doesn't usually leave her house.
-Where does he usually go?
	He always goes to the same bar.
-He doesn't always come to work.
-They always go to the mountains on vacation.
-They don't often use strong detergents.
-We sometimes visit her parents.
-We don't normally go out for dinner.

	>> We use "never" in positive declarations; we use "ever" in negative
declarations and questions:

NOUN + "never" + VERB
NOUN + MODAL VERB + "not" + "ever" + VERB
MODAL VERB + NOUN + "ever" + VERB?

-Does he ever go to the doctor?
	He never goes to doctor.
	He doesn't ever go to the doctor.
-Do you ever brush your teeth?
	No, I never brush my teeth.
	No, I don't ever brush my teeth.
-Do they ever work?
	No, they never work.
	No, they don't ever work.
	Yes, they always work.

"LONG" ADVERBS:

	>> We put the following long adverbs in the beginning or at the
end of the sentence:

every now and then, every day, every week, once in a while, twice a month,
in the morning, on the weekends, at times, 

-When do you study English?
	I study English every day.
	XXX NOT: I every day study English.
-Does she often go to the hair-dresser's?
	Yes, she goes twice a month.
	XXX NOT: Yes, she twice a month goes.
-Does he ever shave?
	Yes, he shaves every morning.
	XXX NOT: Yes, he every morning shaves.
-Do you go swimming in the summer?
XXX NOT: Do you in the summer go swimming?
	Yes, I often go swimming in the summer.
	XXX NOT: Yes, I often in the summer go swimming.

CONJUNCTIONS:

	>> We use the following conjunctions to talk about a series of habitual activities:

after, before, finally, first, last, next, next to last, then

-What do you do every morning?
	First, I get up at 7:30 am.
	Then I go to the bathroom and I wash my face.
	Then I get dressed.
	Then I have breakfast.
	Then I put on my coat and hat.
	Finally, I leave the house at about 8:00 am.

EXERCISES:

	>> Change the subject of the following sentences from "I" or "they" to "she":

0.	I'm sorry, I don't speak Russian.
	She's sorry, she doesn't speak Russian.
1.	They never arrive on time.
2.	They always take highway 95 when they come here.
3.	I don't think I am ready for the test.
4.	I get up very early in the morning on weekdays.
5.	Where do they buy their clothes?
6.	Do they know that it is getting late?
7.	No one dances as well as they do.
8.	Sometimes it seems that I work all the time.
9.	Don't they ever take a bath?
10.	How do they know the President?

	>> Change the subject of the following sentences from "he" to "I":

0.	He's a great cook! And he makes the best cheesecake too.
	I'm a great cook! And I make the best cheesecake too.
11.	He always comes to work on time.
12.	He drives his car in the country on the weekends.
13.	What does he like to watch on TV?
14.	He likes to watch the news and movies.
15.	Where does he go to get a driver's license?
16.	He goes to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
17.	Does he like classical music? He loves it!
18.	He doesn't usually pay his taxes on time.
19.	He doesn't know who Carl Lewis is because he doesn't follow sports.
20.	He speaks English very well.

	>> Change the following sentences from positive to negative,
or from negative to positive, and substitute the names with pronouns:

0.	Mr. Kim doesn't live in Pusan, he lives in Seoul.
	He lives in Pusan, he doesn't live in Seoul.
21.	Ms. Rodriguez works at home.
22.	Daniel and Eduardo don't like living in the city.
23.	Jose's son goes to school on his bicycle.
24.	Doesn't Mr. Kim have a Hyundai car?
25.	Ms. Chiang and Mr. Ho often visit the art museum.
26.	Lucia Sanchez never dances to Hip Hop music.
27.	Keiko Tanaka doesn't play guitar or piano.
28.	Karl is a painter; he paints pictures.
29.	Larry Shen is an architect and he works very hard.
30.	Mr. Lopez doesn't see very well; he drives dangerously.

	>> Write answers for the following questions:

0.	How much sugar do you want in your coffee?
	I want two sugars please.
31.	Does Caroline read many books?
32.	Does she play any sports?
33.	Where does Pedro go on the weekends?
34.	What time does Katy get up in the morning?
35.	Does David smoke Cuban cigars?
36.	When does it get cold in your town?
37.	Do they live in a big house or a small house?
38.	Does China export much rice?
39.	Where does China export rice?
40.	Do dogs meow like cats?

	>> Make questions for the following answers:

0.	Where does Junko live?
		She lives in an apartment in New York.
41.		I work in a bucket factory.
42.		I go to the country to relax.
43.		He thinks sports are a waste of time.
44.		No, rich people don't need to clean their houses.
45.		No, I hate apples.
46.		Yes, the President travels a lot.
47.		They sleep in the trees.
48.		They live in the sea.
49.		I travel thirty kilometers every day.
50.		No, he usually doesn't go dancing on week-nights.

51.	>> What does your mother (or sister, or friend) do every day?
Write what she does first, and then what she does next, and then... For example:

-First my mother gets up at about 7:00 in the morning.
-Then she gets dressed.
-Then she goes downstairs and makes a cup of tea.

	>> Use some of the following words: get up, get dressed, go, play,
cook, smoke, speak, eat, make, do, work, read, study, teach, like, have, want,
help, know, sing, dance, stop, fight, hate, laugh, buy, run, swim, bake, plant,
first, then, finally, never, ever, rarely, occasionally, sometimes, often,
usually, always

POSSIBLE ANSWERS TO THE EXERCISES:

1.	She never arrives on time.
2.	She always takes highway 95 when she comes here.
3.	She doesn't think she's ready for the test.
4.	She gets up very early in the morning on weekdays.
5.	Where does she buy her clothes?
6.	Does she know that it is getting late?
7.	No one dances as well as she does.
8.	Sometimes it seems that she works all the time.
9.	Doesn't she ever take a bath?
10.	How does she know the President?
11.	I always come to work on time.
12.	I drive my car in the country on weekends.
13.	What do I like to watch on TV?
14.	I like to watch the news and movies.
15.	Where do I go to get a driver's license?
16.	I go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
17.	Do I like classical music? I love it!
18.	I don't usually pay my taxes on time.
19.	I don't know who Carl Lewis is because I don't follow sports.
20.	I speak English very well.
21.	She doesn't work at home.
22.	They like living in the city.
23.	His son doesn't go to school on his bicycle.
24.	Does he have a Hyundai car?
25.	They don't often visit the art museum.
26.	She always dances to Hip Hop music.
27.	She plays guitar and piano.
28.	He isn't a painter; he doesn't paint pictures.
29.	He isn't an architect and he doesn't work very hard.
30.	He sees very well; he drives safely.
31.	Yes, she reads a ton of books.
32.	No, she doesn't play any sports.
33.	He goes to his Grandmother's house.
34.	She gets up at about eleven.
35.	No, he smokes a pipe.
36.	It never gets cold in my town; I live in Kuala Lumpur!
37.	They live in a tiny apartment.
38.	Yes, China exports a lot of rice.
39.	It exports rice to Japan.
40.	No, dogs don't meow like cats. They bark like dogs.
41.	What do you do for a living?
42.	Where do you go to relax?
43.	What does Mr. Rodriguez think of sports?
44.	Do rich people need to clean their houses?
45.	Don't you like apples?
46.	Does the President of the United States travel much?
47.	Where do monkeys sleep?
48.	Where do fish live?
49.	How far do you travel every day?
50.	Does Mario ever go dancing on week-nights?

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...